The Hanafi Way
A persons' Wudhu does not remain valid in any of the following instances:
1. Answering the call of nature.
2. Emergence of matter from the private parts.
3. Passing of wind.
4. Flowing of blood from any part of the body
5. Flowing of pus from any part of the body.
6. Vomiting a mouthful.
7. When a person falls asleep.
8. If a person becomes unconscious.
9. Laughing loudly during prayer.
The FARDH acts of Wudhu
The Wudhu has FOUR fardh acts. If any ONE is left out or not done correctly, the Wudhu will NOT be valid. The Faraaidh of Wudhu are as follows:
1) Washing the face from ear to ear and from the top of the forehead to below the chin once.
2) Washing both hands and arms up to the elbows once.
3) Making Masah of one quarter of the head once.
4) Washing both feet up to the ankles once.
The SUNNAT acts of Wudhu
It is necessary to carry out all the Sunnat factors of Wudhu. In order to gain full Thawaab of Wudhu it is important that the Sunnats are followed closely. Deliberate and continuous neglect of the Sunnat factors is sinful.
The Sunnats in Wudhu are as follows;
1) Niyyat (intention) for Wudhu
2) Reciting Tasmiyah: Bismillah…
3) Using a Miswaak
4) Washing both hands as far as the wrists thrice.
5) Rinsing the mouth thrice.
6) Applying water into the nostrils thrice.
7) Making Masah of the whole head.
8) Washing every part thrice.
9) Masah of the ears.
10) Khilaal of the beard, fingers and toes.
11) Following the method of performing Wudhu, in sequence.
12) Washing the various parts in quick succession so that by the end off Wudhu all the parts are still wet.
The MAKROOH acts of Wudhu
The following acts will wipe away all Thawaabs of performing the Wudhu;
1) Making Wudhu in a dirty place.
2) Indulging in worldly talk.
3) Doing wudhu in a way that is against the Sunnat.
4) Cleaning the nose with the right hand
5) Using more water then is required.
6) Splashing water on the face
7) Disturbing another person who is making Wudhu
Method of performing Wudhu
Sit on an elevated place preferably facing the Qibla. Make the Niyyat of Wudhu and recite
Bismillah-hir Rahman-ir Rahim.
First wash both hands as far as the wrist starting with the right hand.
Rinse the mouth three times and use a Miswaak, a coarse cloth or your right forefinger as a substitute. Gargling the mouth is recommended (for those who are not fasting).
Rinse the nostrils next by applying water into the nose thrice with your right hand and blowing it out. Clean the inside of your nose with the little finger of your left hand, making sure that the water reaches the soft part of your nose.
Collect water in your hands and wash your face thrice: from one ear to the other and from the top of the forehead to below the chin. This is followed by making Khilaal of the beard. The Khilaal is done by passing the right hand through the beard and thus wetting the skin.
The right hand should then be washed up to the elbow thrice followed by your left hand.
Make Masah of the whole head as follows; Wet your hands and pass your palms over your head to the back and bring your hands back to the front.
Make Masah of the ears by placing your forefingers into your ears and follow the channel away from the ear hole. Then run your thumbs behind your ears starting at the bottom.
Make Masah of the neck by passing the back of your hands over your neck. Here three fingers are used of each hand. First wipe the right hand side of your neck using your right hand then wipe the left hand side using your left hand.
Having completed the Masah, do the Khilaal of the fingers. This is done by passing the left hand fingers through the right hand fingers over the back of the hand. Thereafter do likewise for the left hand fingers.
Wash your feet thrice starting with your right foot up to the ankles. Then wash the left foot in the same way.
Finally make Khilaal of the toes. Pass the little finger of the left hand in between the toes of both feet, starting from the little toe of the right foot and ending with the little toe of your left foot.
Upon completing the Wudhu, recite the second Kalima (Kalima-e-Shahaadat).
"After completion of Wudhu, performance of two Rakaats nafil is full of blessings. Paradise becomes obligatory for a person who prays this". (Ref: Muslim). The method of performing this nafil is as follows; after completing Wudhu do NOT dry yourself and start your Salaat straight away so that water from your Wudhu is still dripping off you.
Back to Miscelleneous
Back to homepage